venerdì 12 aprile 2013

Tibet, here we come_eng

Tibet, here we come!

5.15am, wake up!!! We print our tickets, we have breakfast e we head to the check in gate. After dropping our luggage, the security guards stop Andrea and start talking to him in Chinese… The come to me, and tell me that he needs to go to the desk to check something… and fortunately they let me go with him to serve as interpreter. They make him open his bag, and  guess what the problem is! An hard disk and a flashlight! …without any comment, we go back to Marchetto and we get ready for boarding, perfectly on time.

Air China serves us breakfast… Yay… I love Chinese food, but I really can’t stand Chinese breakfast! I don’t even open my sticky rice soup… the sole idea makes me sick! I try to get some sleep, to compensate for the previous nights, ma after about one hour we start to fly over the Tibetan mountains and the sight literally keeps my eyes glued to the window. The earth is so close as I had never seen it before from a still high-flying airplane.
On the way to our hotel, even before entering the city, I see it: the Potala palace, the fortress of Tibetan Buddhism. Impressive, solitary, towering Lhasa with its white, red and gold. An oasis in the desert. I am enchanted.
Before long we arrive at the hotel and our guide’s brother advise us to take a rest e let our body some time to acclimatize. A 3-star hotel after 9 days in the cheapest hostels of China sounds just like a dream. The space is not that large, since they put an extra bed in a double room (a mattress on the floor), but it’s really cozy.
We start feeling the lack of oxygen, especially walking up and down the stairs. Two flights are enough to let us short of breath and with palpitations.
A short nap, and we decide to go out to get some lunch. We eat in a quite touristic place, but it is not bad anyway. After eating our first plate of yak meat, we go have a luck at the Potala palace. I can’t say whether is more impressive from close up or from a distance..
To enter the square in fron of the palace we must go through a metal detector check-in and I immediately recall our temporary guide first words: “if you don’t want to get in trouble, do not take pictures of the military!”. Mission: impossible. They’re everywhere! The city is literally plastered with uniforms; platoons and checkpoints alternate endlessly. One more detail: it is not allowed to bring lighters in certain zones. The fear that someone may protest against the Chinese government by setting themselves on fire is huge. What impresses me the most is the composition of the platoons: some soldiers carry a gun, others a truncheon… and others a FIRE EXTINGUISHER. In front of such view, you are not able to speak a world.
While I walk through the streets of Lhasa, I start accusing the first symptoms of  altitude sickness: nausea and headache are slowly increasing. I resist for a while, but eventually I decide to go back to the hotel. The nausea get worse and worse and I end up vomiting. I take a painkiller and I go to bed, literally destroyed. I don’t even go out for dinner, because every time I try to stand up, nausea and dizziness return. At least, ibuprofen seems to work quite well on my headache.
They say it’s a good sign.
I fall asleep, confused and aching.



P.s.: our guide advised us not to take a shower on our first day in Lhasa, because hot water would increase AMS (acute mountain sickness) symptoms. This means 3 days since last shower. We are starting dreaming hot water and cleanliness.

http://windhorsetour.com/tibet-tour

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento